Rohnert Park Accessory Dwelling Units

An Accessory Dwelling Unit or ADU (sometimes called an in-law, secondary, or granny unit) can come in three configurations. Those configurations include a standalone structure detached from the primary dwelling unit (aka detached ADUs) or an addition to the primary dwelling unit (aka attached ADUs) or a conversion of the interior of the primary dwelling unit into two dwelling units (aka internal conversions). ADUs provides complete independent living facilities for one or more persons. It shall include permanent provisions for living, sleeping, cooking, and sanitation, all on the same parcel as an existing single-family dwelling. ADUs are allowed in the City of Rohnert Park with a Certificate of Zoning Compliance and Building Permit.

Applicants are encouraged to speak with staff about application requirements prior to submitting the documents for the Certificate of Zoning Compliance. Upon submission, the Planning, Building, and Engineering divisions of the Development Services Department, as well as the Public Safety Department shall all review and provide comments on the proposal. Only after all comments have been adequately addressed will the Certificate of Zoning Compliance be approved. After such approval, the applicant will be able to apply for any required Building Permits. For further information regarding ADUs or other building and land use regulations, please contact City of Rohnert Park Development Services at (707) 588-2236 or visit

Rohnert Park ADU Guidance