San Ramon’s Zoning Ordinance is currently off line. (February 21, 2018)
The following is from New Avenue Homes, but cannot be verified as accurate.
The City of San Ramon is seeking to amend their development standards to encourage more second dwelling units. According to their housing element, the city will revise the zoning ordinance to facilitate second unit development. Specifically, 50 second dwelling units within the 2014-2022 housing element planning period.
“A second permanent dwelling that is accessory to a primary dwelling on the same site. A second unit or carriage house provides complete, independent living facilities for one or more persons, including permanent provisions for living, sleeping, eating, cooking, sanitation, and parking, and if attached to the primary dwelling, is provided exterior access separate from the primary dwelling.”
- Whether it’s attached or detached, second dwelling can range from 350 – 1,200 sq ft, but no larger than 35% of main house (whichever is less)
- If attached, setback min is 15’-0”, but if detached, this reduced to 7’-0”
- Maximum height is 35’-0”
- New address assignment is required
- Separate water meter is required for a new address
- Must pay sewer connection fee and school district fees
- 1 additional parking is required
- No design review if the dwelling is a single-story structure, but must pay a $300 fee for a 2-story unit