San Jose Secondary Units
This is the name used by the City of San Jose to describe their ADUs.
They have published Guidelines for Secondary Units
- The lot size must be 5,445 sq.ft. or larger
- Maximum one bedroom
- Maximum sizes vary between 600 sq.ft. and 800 sq.ft. depending on the lot size.
- One parking space must be provided unless the unit qualifies for exemptions.
- Rear setback can be reduced to 5ft in some instances.
- Materials, texture and appearance of facade and building elements to be similar, and roof form and pitch must match existing house.
The San Jose Permit Center provides advice on what permits are needed.
The Planning Department also provides advice, but they charge for it.