The Town of San Anselmo encourages homeowners to consider creating second units in order to provide additional housing. Second units can often be approved administratively and, if that is not possible, a use permit or variance may be required.
Can I have a second unit on my property?
1. Is your property zoned for Residential Use? Accessory dwelling units are permitted as an accessory use in R-1, R-1-H, and R-1-C zoning districts.
2. Does your property have the required amount of parking for that zoning designation? Properties zoned R-1 that are located below 150 Mean Sea Level are required to have two onsite parking spaces. Properties that are zoned R-1 that are located above 150 Mean Sea Level are required to have three onsite parking spaces.
3. Does your property have enough Floor Area for an addition of living space? If the project includes an addition of living space, it must comply with the Floor Area regulations for the entire parcel. Please see our development standards or contact Town staff for more information.
4. Is the Accessory Dwelling Unit proposed inside of an existing structure?
5. Is the Accessory Dwelling Unit proposed in an accessory structure?
5a. Does the accessory structure comply with setback regulations? Setbacks for R-1 zoning designations are 20 feet from the front, 20 feet from the rear, 8 feet from an interior side, and 12 feet from a street side.
5b. Is the accessory structure a single story (maximum of 14 feet high)?
6. Is the Accessory Dwelling Unit proposed in a converted garage area?The Town Council is considering rules that will allow replacement parking in setbacks subject to Design Review.
7. Is the Accessory Dwelling Unit less than 800 square feet and not more than 50 percent of the living area of the primary dwelling unit?
8. Does the Accessory Dwelling Unit have two bedrooms or less?
Building Department: http://www.townofsananselmo.org/929/Building