Pittsburg has adopted an ADU Ordinance (17-1433), which includes:
- Establishing a minimum ADU size of 200 square feet;
- Increasing the maximum allowable detached ADU size to 1,200 square feet, and the maximum allowable attached ADU size to the lesser of 1,200 square feet or 50 percent of the legally-established primary dwelling floor area (lot coverage maximums still apply);
- Eliminating parking requirements for ADUs which are either:
- located within one-half mile of a public transit stop (based on the actual walking route between the ADU and the transit stop rather than on a straight line between the two points);
- located within an architecturally and historically significant historic district;
- located entirely within the existing principal residence or an existing habitable accessory structure, resulting in no net addition of habitable floor area on the property;
- in an area where on-street parking permits are required but not offered to the occupant of the ADU; or
- when there is a car share vehicle located within one block of the ADU.
- Requiring a minimum private storage area of 200 cubic feet;
- Specifically requiring all ADUs provide kitchen and sanitation facilities separate from the main dwelling unit; and
- Requiring all new ADUs be registered to the Residential Rental Inspection Program (RRIP).
If you are interested in constructing an ADU on your property, we recommend your first step be to contact Planning Staff to discuss zoning and development requirements. Staff may be reached by phone at (925) 252-4920. Staff is also available in-person at the front counter Monday-Friday, from 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m., and 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.