Why should I select a YardPod rather than a competitors product?
QUALITY: If you want a drafty “shed” that is too hot in summer, too cold in winter and which will rot in a few years, buy a shed from your local hardware store. However, if you want a high quality comfortable office or studio that may be tax-deductible as a home office, and which will enhance your property, select a YardPod.
GREEN: All materials used in YardPods are selected to be as sustainable as possible. We recommend bamboo flooring and recycled insulation with excellent thermal and acoustic properties. We offer cool roofs which reflect the sun and we offer highly insulated doors and windows.
PRICE: YardPods offer the best value. Compare with an equivalent site-built room which can cost $50,000 or more.
LOCAL: We design and operate the business out of San Rafael, Marin. Support your local businesses!
How do I get a YardPod?
In Northern California:
- First decide if you really want a YardPod:
- If the proposed building is greater than 120 sq ft, or is used for Living, please visit our sister site aduhq.com
- If the project is 120 sq ft or less, or does not need permits, it can be a YardPod.
- Call or visit your local Planning Department to obtain information on site set-backs to ensure that you can place your YardPod where you want it.
- Call us to discuss your requirements.
- Invite us to visit your site for an initial meeting, there is no charge.
- Meet us on site, review the location options, review the YardPod designs, finishes, etc.
- Agree a design. If you prefer a customized YardPod, we are happy to design one to your specifications. Cost is $200 which is refundable against the purchase of a YardPod.
- We will provide 3D sketches for you to review.
- Check your Homeowners Association CC&R’s (if you have one).
- Consider discussing with your neighbor if they will have a view of the YardPod (they might like to order one at the same time).
- When you wish to proceed, call us and we will request a price quote from a local builder.
- Review the price quote and contract, sign the order form and arrange payment.
- The builder will commence work on an agreed schedule.
Outside of Northern California:
We do not presently ship outside of Northern California. Please call or email and express your interest and we will inform you when we can deliver to you.
How quickly can I get my YardPod?
This depends on the workload of the builder, we aim to complete each project within six to eight weeks of every order.
Can I use my own design for a YardPod?
Yes. We are happy to work with you on your custom design, design fees apply.
Can I order a larger (than 10×12) YardPod?
Yes, we are happy to work with you on a Custom Design. We will request a retainer for custom home design work. Permits will normally be required on larger YardPods.
Do I need a permit?
Each authority has its own set of regulations. It is the responsibility of the purchaser to verify whether or not permits are required. Generally, you will not need a permit if you comply with planning setbacks because YardPods, which are a maximum of 120 sq ft, are defined as “Detached Accessory Structures” and are supplied without electricity and water hook-ups.
If you wish to apply for permits, we can provide you with a set of architectural and structural drawings for $500.
What kind of foundation do I need?
YardPods can be built on traditional concrete foundations, or a concrete slab which may be required if a Building Permit is needed. Normally, YardPods do not need permits (please check with your local authority) and can be placed on concrete piers.
Does a YardPod come with heating and/or cooling?
YardPods are well-insulated and with a cool roof membrane, reflect a lot of sunlight, but all buildings will revert to the outside ambient temperature when not heated or cooled. For heating, we recommend a small electrical space heater. For air conditioning, a wall-mounted unit is best, we can provide the opening if the customer tells us what size it should be and where. For a more sophisticated system, we recommend that you contact a licensed local contractor.
Is there a solar-powered option?
Yes, this is part of our Custom Design Option